Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Old story; New beginnings

It is the day for writing, but can my newly adjusting, bone-tired, sun-weary mind and body come up with anything more interesting to write about than the divinities of cleansing showers and my soft, soft bed? Forgive me if the result is negative, but I will try anyway.

I took the train from St. Louis, Tom and I having battled a storm that came with a ferocity I haven't seen since the Oklahoma plains to get to the station. The anxiety of leaving was mercifully abated slightly as I encountered the almost antiquated joys of rail travel. Whereas I was unceremoniously booted from the last flight I tried to take and given virtually no recompense, checking in at the train station took all of five minutes. When I asked whether or not I needed to check my duffel bag (a point which was critical in the flight fiasco by the way), I was met with the response that I could if I wanted, but could really do whatever I chose. The attendant was even teasing me about my trusty travel lion/pillow instead of exhibiting the absurd ennui of overwhelming stress that I had seen in the attendants at the airport. At the depot, we all, workers and travelers alike, were relaxed and serene even.

Well, all except for the young kid who was apparently approaching an ecstasy of grief as the time got nearer for he and his mother to get on the train without his dad. When the somewhat late (but at least more on schedule than is generally true in aviation these days) train arrived, we all calmly lined up to give our tickets to the conductor and watched the miniature (but fundamental) drama of the small boy saying goodbye. He latched on to his father's neck as they all finally came to the spot where non-travelers had to stop and exploded in a litanous stream of "I love you, I'll miss you, I love you...". Even the conductor was moved and muttered to me as I handed him my own ticket, "Well, that was nice now." Never mind that the child was at that peculiar stage of life that delivered him from his grief only minutes later as excitement of the coming adventure overtook him.

It was amazing to find myself with a similar experience to the young one as I found myself a little relieved so quickly from the anxieties of making the decision to work and live so far away for a time. As I situated myself in the oh, so spacious seat of the upper level in my designated car, I looked out my window at the setting sun and found the realization that we were going to be alright. Whatever was coming, whatever was past...we would find the way. One day at a time.

2 comments:

  1. Last time I rode a train was with Ben Lydecker from Chicago to Dallas in '99 ... and it was just as peaceful as you say. I wish trains were a more affordable mode ... and I wish it hadn't been more than 10 years since I'd been on a long trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still wish I had gone on that trip with you guys...especially after having experienced it.

    ReplyDelete