Monday, June 7, 2010

Lone Star

Today was very unkind on the poker scene, and I feel inclined not to discuss it. So, I won't. Instead, I will lay some ground rules; mostly for myself, but also as a courtesy to those who might want to follow the blog. First of all, my intention is to update every Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday. For those anal enough to be checking my time stamp, you will see that I am writing this already behind schedule. My defense is that it is still Sunday a few miles West of here, and also that it is still Sunday where most of my loved ones currently are. So stop being so technical about it. But it does bring up a good point which is that our days and nights are somewhat mishmashed, so many of the blogs will be apprearing late at night on the proscribed "days".

The second matter is that I will most certainly not be spending all of my time discussing poker. I have quite enough of that in my moment to moment, so you will excuse me if I often digress. For example, right now, all I really want to talk about is this kill-me-now-I'm-so-happy chili con queso that we just made. It is moments like these that force me to the admission that I am a Texas girl and my heart will always return there. Just tasting the sublimity of melty cheesiness studded with hot peppers, cilantro and fresh tomatoes transports me to the state of my birth where the cultures of the Wild West and Mexico collide and create something so unique...and tasty. I was appalled and devastated when I asked a few college friends when going to school in the Midwest if there were any good Mexican joints around and was met with the response, "Well, yeah, there's Taco Bell just around the corner." I hope you can imagine my horror being met with a whole section of the country that was obviously uninitiated in the divinities of Salsa and Fajitas. I think that was when I really came to the conclusion that I needed to get serious about cooking so that I might give myself access to the delectables that, in my opinion, no one should go without. So, without further ado, I will return to my happy midnight munching and indulge in the soft memories of a place like no other.

P.s. If you would like to experience a piece for yourself, here's the recipe that started it. I just added a pound of ground turkey, chili spiced.

http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2008/04/more-natural-chile-con-queso.html

No comments:

Post a Comment